LabourLove Gallery has a limited capacity, and we’re all out of space for Peter Lamb and The Wolves. The After Hours Concert Series is ganing popularity each month, and tickets are selling faster and faster. We recommend getting tickets well in advance. If you missed out on tickets to this month’s show, purchase tickets for Kim Arrington for a memorable Valentine’s date!
Peter Lamband the Wolves is a group consisting of some of the triangle’s hottest young jazz musicians. The quintet plays music that is a mixture of Charles Mingus like arranging with New Orleans grooves and strange melodies from around the world. They’ve won The Independent’s Jazz Band of the Year award and played in both The Hopscotch Music Festival and Shakori Hills. In 2011 The Wolves released their first album to much acclaim. They hope to produce a second album by the middle of 2012.
Join the Collective!
Labourlove is looking for more artists for the year 2012!
- Give artists, designers, and crafters space for a reasonable monthly price, and let them keep 90% of the retail sale.
- Everyone in the collective takes an active role in promoting the gallery and its events through their existing Email lists, Facebook friends, Twitter followers, Etsy fans, etc.
- The efforts of a large group of artists spending just a few minutes per month reaching their personal networks can equal thousands of potential customers for everyone to share.
- We all have fun playing a role in the growing art scene in downtown Durham.
The DealArtists keep 90% of the retail sale from all items. LabourLove will use the other 10% to cover credit card processing and basic business expenses related to gallery operations including accounting and marketing costs.
LabourLove supplies clothing racks, shelving units, and wall space for the display of the artwork and goods. The artists will supply the inventory and rent the space required to display their works. This is YOUR space to display your work as you wish. The most active participants in the collective tend to sell the most product. Art is just like any other business, if you come to the events and promote the gallery to your network, you are more likely to sell your work.
Events at Golden Belt this Third Friday:
New Life at Golden Belt! Moshi Moshi and Blend open shop.
Labourlove is excited to announce that our new neighbors have moved in and the spaces look fantastic! Come out this third friday and meet the nice folks from Moshi Moshi and Blend.
Our Neighbors at Dogstar Tattoo are in the NY Times!
Kathryn is a local hailing from the Durham/Chapel Hill area. She is a Durham Academy graduate that went on to attend Carnegie Mellon to earn a BFA in Fine Arts. Her concentration was in sculpture, specifically metal working. Afterwards she continued her education at Comair Aviation Academy receiving her Multi-Engine Commercial and Certified Flight Instructors licenses. After flight school she began tattooing and has been doing so since 1995. She is the owner of Dogstar Tattoo.
Information about the event:
Friday, January 20th from 2 until 5pm. As part of the ScienceOnline2012 convention, Carl Zimmer will be at Dogstar for a book signing celebrating his new publication Science Ink. We’re welcoming visiting scientists from the convention for an afternoon of science based tattooing, and Carl will be giving a presentation on his book. Here’s a link talking about the book and you can find Kathryn’s work on slide #4.
Michael Casey at Broad Street Cafe
Upcoming events at Labourlove, more information to come in February’s Newsletter